Tuesday, December 8, 2009

While in Rome...

Yesterday I had to go to Indian consulate for my daughter's passport renewal. While any kind of bureaucratic work inside India can be quite painful, my experience with Indian mission abroad has been quite fine (This is my 9th year outside India). Most of the jobs get done on the same day while passport can be done in a week (Those readers, who are in India, can you imagine that you can actually get your new passport in a week?).

The most funny thing is to see the behavior of Indians and officers inside the consulate. While in most cases, officers at the consulates are quite accommodating and polite, many people behave very rudely with them. Yesterday, one of the gentleman demanded explanation from the officer why they need a week to make a new passport? To my surprise, officer at the counter was ready to explain it to him and also offered him to talk with higher officer if he had any more questions. One other swamiji was specially approached by an officer and was asked to wait for an hour so his job can be done immediately and he don't need to come back again in few hours/days.

When I narrate my experience to my non-Indian friend who is very much familiar with the working of Indian bureaucracy. His remark was that Indian officers were not polite or professional, but were just behaving according to the place (means the very same people will behave very differently inside India). I only wish if there were more westerners around Indian offices in all cities...

No comments: